Week in the life

15 Jan


Went to church, cleaned house (not exactly an activity typical of the Sabbath for me, or any day of the week, for that matter), removed all the painter’s tape from the stairs and upstairs hall that had been there since August 2008 (yes, I still need to put a third coat of paint on, but it looks so much better without the tape), made fried chicken and mashed potatoes, burned a pan of butter on the stove and immersed the house in smoke and a vague oily, fried-chickeny, scorched buttery smell.  But the gravy was darn good.


Spent all morning finishing up the cleaning I had started over the weekend so our realtor friend could come over and tell us how much he thinks we could get for our house.  (We’ve been seriously contemplating a move.)  I apologized for the leftover smell and he was very kind to say he hadn’t noticed.  He also said our place was “very cute” and that I had “done a great job with it” and quoted me a very acceptable price.  Then I spent the rest of the day running kids around to piano and such.


Told myself I would not clean a single thing in the house that day.  I’m pretty sure I stuck to that.  There may have been some dish-doing.  Also beat my head against the wall while volunteering in Goose’s classroom, went to take a second look at a house we went to see over the weekend, ran Goose to gymnastics and finished off Catching Fire, the sequel to Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, both of which were very enjoyable, by the way.  Oh, and had my birthday celebration with the girls that I mentioned before.  I will blog more about this next week.  It really does deserve a post of its own, but I’ll give you a sneak preview of one of the evening’s more notable quotes: “Big boobs…toggle, toggle.”


Took BigHugs to the store to pick out her snack for preschool.  I tried to steer her towards the more healthy fair, like maybe cheese sticks and some crackers, but we ended up with the chocolate chip candy cookies.  Whatever.  They were cheaper than the cheese option anyway, so that was a bonus.  I decided to skip out on volunteering in Goose’s classroom again, sat around and did pretty much nothing until I remembered I had a date with awesomeness via phone.  We had a short but lovely conversation then made the daily kid pickup/dropoff run.  The evening brought an unexpected and unwelcome turn of events (that I will share with you another time) and I spent the rest of the evening miserable and crying.  (Don’t worry, no one is sick or dead.  Just my hopes and dreams.)


Woke up with puffy eyes and a headache, but pulled myself together to take BigHugs to gymnastics.  Had half a wheel of laughing cow along with half a box of crackers, some chips, a half dozen York peppermint patties and a bunch of other crap of which I have no recollection.

Goose came home from school with some stories she had published.  As you know, I so love reading my children’s stories.  This one is called “Clean Up!”

One time I got out a whole bunch of toys and it was so messy whenever I tried to get somewhere I heard something break.  Like…crash!  Bang!  Ow!  My foot would get hurt.  When my mom came in she yelled… “You know what you have to clean this mess up first thing in the morning!”  Then she tucked me in gave me a hug and a kiss and I went to sleep.  The next day I did not clean up and the next and the next!

When my mom found out I was not cleaning, she said… “You know what you have to clean up tomorrow or else you will be grounded off of no computer, Wii or friend playing.”  The next day my friend came to my house and my mom had to clean my room.  We got out all of the same stuff I got out yesterday.  When she left I said thanks to my mom for cleaning.  The next day I woke up early in the morning and started organizing stuf all the dolls and cloths in one bin and objects and other things in the other bin.  When mom was awake I was done.  I told her and she said “Rock on”  “Your welcome” I replied.

The End!

There were illustrations, but none that featured me, so obviously they weren’t essential to the story.

And our furnace went out yesterday.  It was coming on, but only blowing cold air, and the garage had that lovely eau d’ gas smell going on.  I only entertained the possibility that our house would blow up or that we would all die from some kind of asphyxiation for like half a second. 

Chuck came home early to check it out, and ended up calling a repair guy.  We don’t have a regular furnace guy, so he just looked up some random company in the phone book that promised 24- hr same day service and no driving charges.  It turns out our ignition switch was out, so they replaced it. 

With the service call charge, diagnosis fee, parts and labor, the total came to $500 for about 30 minutes of work.  “That’s like a thousand dollars an hour!” Chuck exclaimed in his best Napoleon.  The guy very generously threw in a “furnace service and tune up” (read “run a shop vacuum over it for about 30 seconds), regularly a $200 charge, for free. 

Chuck’s favorite part of the whole experience was having the guy tell him that sometimes they get calls where it turns out all they need to do is replace the batteries in the thermostat, and the people end up dishing out $350 for a service call and diagnostic fee for a couple of double As.  So basically he was saying, “I just screwed you over, but not as bad as some other shmucks out there.”


Still in pajamas, writing this blog post, which I was tempted to title “Weak in the life”, but feeling slightly more optimistic this morning.  At least for the moment.  The kids have early release today, and I should probably spend the afternoon preparing for the birthday party we’re having for Goose tomorrow.  I haven’t done a single thing other than send out invitations.  Not.  One.  Single.  Thing.  I think the main event will be playing Dance Dance Revolution on the Wii.  I figure we can throw in some cake and a little present-opening and call it good, right?  This party will be the first one I’ve had in I don’t know how long that hasn’t had some kind of theme, which is totally cool with me.  I think I’m ready to give up the pretense of over-achieving parent.

The rest of the weekend, who knows?  Anyone have big plans?


8 Responses to “Week in the life”

  1. madhousewife January 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm #

    No big plans. We are supposed to celebrate PZ’s getting on the honor roll and MB winning an award at the Science Fair, but I don’t know what that will entail, exactly. I mean, hopefully it’s nothing big, or that might mean some spectacular effort on my part.

    Sorry about your furnace. 😦 I know what line of work to tell my kids to go into, though.

    I just finished a lively game of DDR Mario Mix in story mode. (Not quite as much fun as regular DDR because there are all these stupid mini-games mixed in that I’m no good at. Also, the story is tiresome.) As soon as the credits rolled, GF said, “Do it again!” Yeah, right.

    Hope your next week goes better.

  2. Amanda D January 15, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

    I hope your hopes and dreams are repaired quickly.

    No big plans for the weekend here. I need to flip the mattress and clean the closets. Blah. I wish I was going to play some DDR. I need me one of those.

    Good luck with the party!

  3. Julie January 15, 2010 at 2:06 pm #

    Shattered hopes and dreams??? NO!!!!!!!

    I am getting my hair cut and colored today and that is the extent of my weekend plans.

  4. tawnya January 15, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

    A whole lotta crap (see blogpost: today). I hope your week gets better. And I’m trying not to email you directly to find out what had you in tears. I hate suspense…

  5. Alison Wonderland January 15, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

    You called me awesomeness, teehee.

    I’m guessing the house that you liked is not going to work out? If I’m right, that sucks, if I’m wrong, something else sucks. Oo, I need to talk to you, I wonder if you’re on facebook?

  6. boquinha January 15, 2010 at 5:44 pm #

    I like you. You make me laugh out loud on an almost-daily basis. You’re a fantastic writer. Though we’ve “met” through blogging, not only do I feel like I know you, but I feel like we’re old friends. I found myself feeling like I should call you when I found out you were crying. Sorry about whatever it was. Here’s hoping for blue skies ahead . . .

  7. MaryAnn January 17, 2010 at 5:25 pm #

    Oh no! I just now read this and am concerned about the “hopes and dreams” althought that was so almost a week ago now. Hope you are okay – we must catch up! XOXO

  8. Patience January 19, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

    I love the random collection of food on Thursday. Congratulations on getting up the painters tape in less than two years.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: